Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Today I couldn't help but think back to our time in New York. These cities are so different from each other -- in Chicago, I don't think twice before I go out the door, whereas in New York, I'm embarrassed to say it would take me half and hour to figure out what to wear. I love the energy and the vibe of New York -- don't get me wrong! -- but if New York is a stiletto, so far Chicago is more like...a flip flop, and I love it. I sent up a prayer of thanks for our teachers, all of whom we have definitely "clicked" with. Everyone's style is different; they add a new color to our canvas and no doubt we are all growing. But back to New York --
Louis Colaianni gave us this word on one of our first days with him. Through all of our work together, no matter what city we're in, or what production we're working, it's still my goal.
-----
To be what I am.
To live the life that was set for me to live.
To voice the things that only I can voice.
To bear the blossoms that are commanded of my heart.
This is what I want, and surely, this cannot be presumptuous.
-Ranier Maria Rilke

1 comment: