Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Something Kestutis said last week has been churning around in me.  We had just finished another round of "tug-of war".  This time - all the men on one side and all the women on the other, an imaginary rope between us.  The idea is, we have a game of tug-of-war while saying our lines from a scene from "Pillars of the Community" that we've all memorized.  What should happen is that we move, as a group, in response to the text, gaining or losing ground depending on how the words affect you.  We finished the scene (amazing that you can sweat just as much in an imaginary game as in a real one!) and he said, "well, I could see the rope and that's great but no one really moved much which means your will is greater than your ability to give."  It was a simple observation and he moved on, but it stuck with me, and I've been thinking, when I choose to be "safe" instead of as vulnerable as a scene requires, when I want to hang on to something when the text (or maybe a life circumstance) requires me to let go, am I allowing my will to be greater than my ability to give?

No comments:

Post a Comment